In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products & services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
As a single mom with 2 kids and 2 jobs, making time to travel to therapy appointments — although it’s needed — is nearly impossible for me. Skype, email, and live chats are great ways to receive online counseling from the comfort of my smartphone and computer. There are also therapy apps that are useful.
Here are 3 great benefits of online counseling or hiring an online life coach…
#1 – Ease Of Use For You And The Counselor
When you realize that you need supportive help, the less barriers there are to receiving help, the better the outcome.
Online counseling and hiring a life coach online offer both you and the counselor a seamless way to communicate because:
- There’s no need to leave your home or office to offer or receive services.
- Counselors and life coaches find it easy to gather information about you prior to treatment by email.
- One-on-one sessions can occur by telephone, email, chat, or Skype at various times of the day or night.
- In most cases, the counseling can begin immediately.
80% of Internet users, or about 93 million Americans, have searched for a health-related topic online. Online therapy using Skype is increasingly popular. Source
#2 – You Can Maintain Your Lifestyle And Anonymity
Both you and the provider are able to retain a certain amount of anonymity through working together virtually.
This is beneficial because:
- You may never need to meet in person.
- You and the therapist can use nicknames instead of real names.
- The only personal information that needs to be exchanged is what is required by the practitioner.
Beyond that, you and the counselor or life coach are able to share whatever you both feel is relevant to achieve the goals of treatment.
In order to protect both parties, a contract and confidentiality agreement are usually put in place.
#3 – There’s An Element Of Trust
When entering into any online relationship or pay-for-service arrangement, a certain level of trust and security is needed.
Here’s what you can do to protect yourself:
- Ensure the site you register with is reputable and secure.
- Use any free service the provider offers in order to evaluate the counselor before making a commitment.
Many online counseling sites and life coaches offer a few introductory email exchanges, or a period of free chatting, before charging.
Many companies offer Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) and finding help today can be as easy as connecting with your employer’s online counselors or life coaches.
Good mental health is essential for being a well-rounded person. Every step that makes gaining support easier is important.
Online Counseling & Life Coaching Resources
- 5 Therapy Apps Worth Looking Into
- Flexible Client-Driven Results Of Online Counseling
- Find Therapy Through Your iPhone
- Google Play Offers Many Resources For Help Seekers
- How To Find A Life Coach Online
I’m a health nut, a frugal mom, a dog lover, a DIYer, and a gadget girl. Personally, as a post-divorce, working single mom on a budget I have a lot of experiences that I enjoy sharing so others can learn from the things I wish I knew earlier! Professionally, I’ve worked full-time in a variety of marketing, sales, and editing jobs. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as Managing Editor at The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).