Consider this my one-person mission to get the entire world to yawn (…or at least all 10,000 or so of you reading this website right now!)
Try & fight it.
But before you finish this article you’ll yawn.
Try To Not Yawn…
I Dare You!
Usually, just thinking (or reading) about yawning will make you yawn.
And when the person next to you yawns, forget about it… you’ll yawn too.
- Try & fight the yawn #1: Pictures of people (and pets) yawning…
It’s widely assumed that yawning occurs because we are tired or bored or because we see someone else doing it, but there isn’t any hard evidence to support these beliefs. The most plausible explanation, and the one that is taught in medical school, is that we yawn because oxygen levels in our lungs are low. Source
But even this has been disputed…
- Try & fight the yawn #2: Fun Facts About Yawning…
- We know it’s involuntary because we do it even before we are born. Research shows that 11-week-old fetuses yawn.
- Yawns become contagious to people between the first and second years of life.
- When one person in a group yawns, over half of the people in the group will yawn within 5 minutes, and the rest will at least be tempted to yawn.
- Even animals yawn when they see another animal yawn.
- Yawns in male students had a longer duration than those in female students.
- The average duration of a yawn is about 6 seconds.
- Try & fight the yawn #3: Yawn sounds…
Now that you’re feeling very sleepy… my work here is done.
More About Yawning
I like to help people find unique ways to do things in order to save time & money — so I write about “outside the box” ideas that most wouldn’t think of. As a lifelong dog owner, I often share my best tips for living with and training dogs. I worked in Higher Ed over 10 years before switching gears to pursue activities that I’m truly passionate about. I’ve worked at a vet, in a photo lab, and at a zoo — to name a few. I enjoy the outdoors via bicycle, motorcycle, Jeep, or RV. You can always find me at the corner of Good News & Fun Times as publisher of The Fun Times Guide (32 fun & helpful websites).