This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
The battlefield is set, and your backyard is under attack — by mosquitoes.
Do you have a plan for home mosquito control? Will your outdoor activities succumb to the persistent little winged dive bombers this year?
Well, I’ve created a pretty good list of the best mosquito repellents and home mosquito control systems for you! In addition to mosquito trap reviews, you’ll find lots of reviews of insect repellents as well.
The Battle Against Mosquitoes
Many states claim the mosquito as their chosen representative in the aviary world.
Here in Minnesota, you can even buy mosquito crossing signs and license plates proclaiming the state bird is the mosquito (a.k.a. the tiny vampire of the flying insect world). I know for a fact the only place more infested with mosquitoes than the deep woods of northern Minnesota is the far north Canadian wilderness.
Totally eliminating mosquitoes from your property is a pretty tall order — but it can be done!
Did You Know?… There are 10 ways to guarantee you’ll get mosquito bites.
With diseases like Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, and Zika Virus being carried by mosquitoes, dramatically reducing their numbers has become an important issue to be taken seriously — as seen in this video:
Fortunately, modern technology has greatly improved our success ratio in the battle against the bugs. So yes, you can finally be victorious against mosquitoes this year!
Following are the best home mosquito control systems designed to keep your outdoor space and your body free of the buzzing invaders.
BONUS: In addition to working well against mosquitoes, most of these mosquito control tactics also repel black flies and no-see-ums!
Mosquito Control Systems For Your Yard
These home mosquito control systems work best in large areas of 1 acre or more.
How they work: They mimic the human body by emitting simulated body heat and CO2. The mosquitoes fly into the trap and are ultimately eliminated in large quantities.
Some of the most popular mosquito killing systems are:
- Arctic Mosquito Killing System (Video showing how the Arctic Mosquito Killing System works)
- Mosquito Magnet (Video showing how the Mosquito Magnet works)
- Blue Rhino Mosquito Eliminator (Video showing how the Blue Rhino SkeeterVac works)
- Mega Catch Mosquito Trap (Video showing how the Mega Catch Mosquito Trap works)
- Backyard Avenger Mosquito Killing System (See how the Bheackyard Avenger works differently than most)
Electronic mosquito zappers are especially good in areas where there are swamps or stagnant water. They come in a variety of sizes to meet the needs of most yards.
How they work: They use a black light to attract flying mosquitoes to an electrical grid — trapping, zapping, and killing all insects that come near.
Some of the most popular mosquito zappers are:
- Flowtron Mosquito Zapper – (Video showing how Flowtron Mosquito Zappers work)
- Stinger Bug Zapper – (Video showing how the Stinger Mosquito Zapper works)
- Electric Bug Zapper Fly Swatter (a.k.a. Mosquito Racket) – (Video showing how mosquito rackets work and how mosquitoes are stunned)
See how to modify a standard bug zapper to attract & catch mosquitoes in large numbers.
Mosquito misters have spray nozzles that are mounted around the perimeter of your home — you automatically set mosquito misters to turn on and off at certain times. They’re usually hidden in the landscaping or along a fence and are connected to a container of insecticide.
How they work: These misting machines spray pesticides (insecticides) in a fine mist to kill mosquitoes (and other insects).
Some of the most popular mosquito misting systems are:
- Terminix AllClear Mosquito Mister – a video showing how the AllClear Mosquito Misting System works
- MosquitoNix Misting System – a video showing how the MosquitoNix Misting System works
- Mosquito Max Misting System – see how the Mosquito Max Misting System works
Personal Mosquito Repellents
Instead of investing in a home mosquito control system for your backyard, you can downsize to smaller mosquito repellents and carry them with you (or apply to your body) for protection from mosquitoes.
#1 – All Natural Mosquito Repellents
Here are some of the most popular chemical-free repellents:
- Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Repellent Spray – a review from Alaska where mosquitoes are typically unbearable, plus another review
- Off Clip-On Mosquito Repellent – see how it works, plus reviews
- Burt’s Bees Herbal Insect Repellent – a review
- Buzz Barrier Mosquito Repellent Wristbands – a video review
- Off Mosquito Lamp – a video review
- Coleman SkinSmart DEET-Free Insect Repellent – a review
- Buzz Away Extreme Natural Insect Repellent – a review
See our reviews of the safest all-natural mosquito repellents.
#2 – Traditional Mosquito Repellents
Here are some of the most popular mosquito repellents that do have chemicals:
- Ultrathon Tick & Insect Repellent – a Field & Stream review of the cream
- ThermaCell Portable Mosquito Repeller – uses a butane cartridge to create a 15-food mosquito protection zone around you
- Repel Sportsmen Insect Repellent With DEET – comes in a spray or a lotion, and it’s less oily than other insect repellent lotions
- Sawyer Insect Repellent With Permethrin – a thorough review of using Permethrin on clothing
- Sawyer Insect Repellent With Picaridin – comes in a spray or a lotion, and it’s more effective than DEET
- Cutter Insect Repellent Sprays & Wipes – a review of the wipes
- Off Insect Repellent Wipes & Sprays – a review of the wipes
- Avon Skin So Soft Sprays, Wipes & Lotions – a video review of the spray
- Insect Shield Permethrin-Treated Clothing – see how well these garments work in a video review
Here’s a list of the main ingredients used in insect repellents and when each should be used.
The most effective repellents contain DEET, picaridin or oil of eucalyptus … Military studies gave Permethrin 0.5% spray a 97.7% efficacy rating and recommended using Permethrin on clothing and DEET 20-35% on skin … To be safest, wear long pants, preferably sprayed with permethrin, and apply repellents regularly. Source
More Home Mosquito Control Tips & Tricks
In addition to the links I’ve provided above, here are some other helpful home mosquito control ideas and DIY insect repellents:
- Make Your Own Mosquito Repellent With Essential Oils
- DIY Eco-Friendly Mosquito Repellent For Your Skin
- 40+ Ways To Stop The Itch From Mosquito Bites
- How To Make Citronella Candles To Repel Mosquitos
- 3 DEET-Free Products That Really Work
- Tips For Using Celery As A DIY Natural Mosquito Repellent
- Consumer Reports Insect Repellent Buying Guide
I’ve been involved in RVing for 50 years now — including camping, building, repairing, and even selling RVs. I’ve owned, used, and repaired almost every class and style of RV ever made. I do all of my own repair work. My other interests include cooking, living with an aging dog, and dealing with diabetic issues. If you can combine a grease monkey with a computer geek, throw in a touch of information nut and organization freak, combined with a little bit of storyteller, you’ve got a good idea of who I am.